874 Washington Street
Two connecting buildings, originally built in 1887 and 1890, were redesigned to house a multi-story retail store, design studio, and new accessible landscaped roof. The building consists of essentially a new steel framed building that was constructed from top down while retaining the lot line/exterior walls of the existing building. In order to preserve the landmarked façade, GACE designed bracing and a sequence of construction to allow for the removal of the existing interior structure and complete reframing of the building. GACE also designed the façade restoration program.
ClientDiane von Furstenberg
ArchitectWork Architecture Company
Best Historic Restoration, NYC Masterworks Awards
NY Municipal Arts Society