23 Lexington Avenue
This project involved the restoration and conversion of the historic George Washington Hotel back to its original use as a hotel. Erected in 1928, and most recently serving as dormitories for the School of Visual Arts, it will now be the first Freehand brand hotel to arrive in New York. The 16-story structure underwent extensive alterations including modifications to the existing penthouse, renovation of all amenity spaces on the ground floor, and augmentation of the existing roof structure to accommodate an outdoor lounge. The entrance canopy was also restored to its original design from the 1940s.
ClientThe Sydell Group
ArchitectIBI Group,Roman and Williams
Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award
The New York Landmarks Conservancy